Browning Citori CXS 20 Gauge O/U Shotgun ReviewSep 01, 2022
I am A little hesitant when shotgun manufacturers claim that their gun can "Do all the different things" - in this case, the Browning CXS claims to be a crossover suitable for hunting, clays, and everything in between. Let's dive in and see how versatile this 20 gauge CXS really is.
BROWNING CITORI CXS OVER/UNDER
This Browning has as MSRP of $2,529 - I got mine for LESS than that at Reeds Sports
Get a Free TFL Hat...find out how!
- 20 gauge (12ga available)
- 50/50 point of impact
- 28" Barrel (30 and 32" available)
- Length of Pull 14 3/4"
- Drop at Comb 1 1/2"
- Drop at Heel 2 1/4"
- Comes with 3 invector plus chokes
- 4lbs 4.5oz (Average pull weight)
- Very nice light feel
- This has a nice inertia trigger
- The trigger position is adjustable
- Trigger shoe is also replaceable/customizable
- The first thing I noticed was the slight palm swell on the pistol grip
- I like the compact forearm - it has a slight taper and the end and has good feeling grips
- It overall feels great in the hands - very natural feeling
- I like the weight a little bit out front to help with a smoother swing
- The checkering is cut 18 lines per inch
- This CXS mounted up and hit my shoulder very nicely
- This length of pull fits me well - you could certainly make it longer if you're larger than me, but if you're smaller built than my (5ft 11 7/8) just keep in mind shortening will be an issue
- Flat vented rib - I prefer a stepped rib personally
- Ivory front and mid bead
- Gloss grade 2 wood looks very nice
- I have not had this gun for nearly enough time to fully understand its level of reliability. If you have this gun, let me know how it s held up over time!
- The CXS doesn't eject out super far as you'd usually see - This could be by design so you can easily catch shells
- Recoil simply feels awesome. Yes, I know it's a 20 gauge. It's very manageable right back into the shoulder.
- The Citori receiver is a little bit different - the hinge pin spans the entire width of the receiver and has more surface area contact with the barrel - this should help with longevity
- The locking bolt is also nicely built and larger in size - this locks the barrel much tighter across and even plain
- Putting the barrel on can be a little finicky if the latch on the bottom of the receiver isn't pushed down first
- I truly believe that this gun could last a very long time with proper care
- Before I even got to trying, I just knew that I'd be able to run this gun fast. When I had the Citori HUNTER review I was super successful so I had no doubts about this CXS
- I was able to shoot 2 hand-thrown clays in .96 seconds!
- Just as I suspected, this thing handled great, and ran FAST! The 20 gauge recoil definitely helps...
In summary, I think that this Browning CItori CXS is a fantastic gun. Yes, It is super expensive, YES it shoots like a dream and could be a versatile gun. I'd really like to do a review of the 725 I have to compare it to this gun. But so far all green lights for this Citori lineup. Check it out at REEDS!
Whether our targets in the field or our targets in life, we will only hit what we are focused on so live the #targetfocusedlife
Stay Target Focused,
Get notified when we publish a new blog post
Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from our team.
Don't worry, your information will not be shared.
We hate SPAM. We will never sell your information, for any reason.