Is This the Maverick Everyone Is Talking About? Maverick 88 Pump Shotgun ReviewJul 14, 2022
The new Top Gun Movie "Maverick" recently came out. A lot of viewers have also been asking for super cheap pumps: So in honor of the circumstances at hand, we are looking at the dirt-cheap Maverick 88 shotgun by Mossberg
Maverick 88 by Mossberg
This may be the cheapest shotgun I've ever shot with an MSRP of $253 - I got mine for EVEN LESS than that at Reeds Sports
Get a Free TFL Hat...find out how!
- 12 gauge (Pump Action)
- 3" chamber
- 28" Barrel
- Length of Pull 14 1/4"
- Drop at Comb (N/A)
- Drop at Heel (N/A)
- Comes with 1 choke (extra full)
- 8lbs 0.9oz (Average pull weight)
- Not great...That's all I got
- This trigger was chunky AND heavy and I cannot wait to speed shoot this thing..
- The first thing I noticed was that the slide was pretty far forward for my arm size.
- Not to mention the slide itself was pretty shaky and slippery
- This gun was front-end heavy as most pump actions are - this Maverick was pretty excessive though
- The safety on this gun almost looked like it should be on a toy gun (lol) very small and cheap
- The slide release was actually conveniently located
- The recoil pad didn't feel all that bad! Very generic
- Brass mid-bead and ivory bead on the front
- Overall this is a very average build - cheap polymer all around with absolutely nothing fancy
- I noticed the loading port edges are very sharp
- These are just my observations - we're obviously not going to be getting all the smooth-edged bells and whistles with a gun this cheap
Breakdown/Quality of Build
- The breakdown of this pump was so much harder than I would have expected for such a cheap basic pump gun
- I also noticed that the trigger pins came out very easy - like scary easy
- Once I got all the moving parts taken out, you can just see that a lot of shooting with this gun is going to wear down those parts in no time
- There were a lot of moving parts as well - as far as quality I'd like to think that it could be a simpler design. It's what you'd expect though
- With the barrel off, the rest of the gun felt very light
- Recoil is one unfortunate downside of pump shotguns. Let alone cheap pumps. These target loads got me in the face for sure!
- Part of this felt recoil may be because the gun is too short for me - gun fit is important!
- The slide was tough to run - even at slower speeds back to back shots just wouldn't cycle consistently
- Even though I was getting kicked with recoil, I was surprised - the weight, the material, a pump-action, the added recoil makes sense
- Recoil is sometimes relative to gun fit so you may experience recoil different than me - OR you could invest in a recoil reduction pad like a Falcon Strike
- I haven't had this gun long enough to truly test its "Reliability" It shot fine for this review - If you have this gun, let me know how it's holding up!
- I was able to accomplish shooting 3 hand thrown clays in 1.61 seconds
In summary, I think the new Top Gun movie was great. However, after shooting this gun, I'm not sure Maverick and Top Gun belong in the same sentence. This is a pretty bottom-of-the-barrel. If you're looking for a cheap option and don't mind tanking through the pain and possible hick-ups of this Maverick, then go for it. If you are a parent looking for the cheap option to get your child a gun, DONT go for it. As far as ultra-affordable guns though, this wouldn't be my first option. This is just my opinion! Do as you wish partner :)
Whether our targets in the field or our targets in life, we will only hit what we are focused on so live the #targetfocusedlife
Stay Target Focused,
Get notified when we publish a new blog post
Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from our team.
Don't worry, your information will not be shared.
We hate SPAM. We will never sell your information, for any reason.