New Shotgun Company is a Game ChangerMay 18, 2023
Custom-built shotguns are nothing new, but traditionally they come with a price tag so high that they are not feasible for many shooters and hunters. What if we told you you could get a custom Italian shotgun starting at $2,000? Crazy right!? If you don't believe us, you're going to want to check out this interview we did with Nick Larson from the Upland Gun Company based right here in Minnesota. If you have experience with Upland Gun Company or any other custom-fit shotguns, please let us know on the TFL COMMUNITY! Lets go!
What is Upland Gun Company?:
- Upland Gun Company specializes in custom-built side-by-side and over-under shotguns for, you guessed it, upland hunting.
- All common gauges are available (410, 28, 20, 16, 12). They've even done 32 gauges!
- They are based in Minnesota and partner with RFM - an Italian gun manufacturer.
- Get a FREE case of Federal Ammo with a purchase of a new shotgun from Reeds priced at $500 or above!
What is the Process?
- The first step would be to get a fitting from a reputable gun fitter. UGC works with a network of gun fitters across the country to get customers fitted.
- Steve will be going through this whole process with gun fitter Dell Whitman in another video - Stay tuned for that!
- Once you have your gun fit dimensions, you go to their website: uplandguncompany.com and choose a base model and start custom building your gun down to the finest detail.
What are the Options?
- Upland gun company has 6 different chassis to start building from:
- The Minerva SxS 20, 28 gauge, starting at $4,999
- The SK Feather O/U 12, 20, 28 gauge, starting at $2,499
- The SK Field O/U 12, 16, 20, 28, 410, starting at $2,199
- The SK One Sport O/U 12,20, starting at $4,499
- The Zeus SxS 12, 16, 20, 28 starting at $1,999
- The Venus SxS 12, 16, 20, 28,410 starting at $3,299
What is Customizable?
- From our understanding, everything from the butt to the bead is customizable.
- A big part of this is selecting the wood - You can select your grade from standard all the way up to exhibition grade. Nick tells us that a fan favorite of this process is when the customer can select the wood blank from which their stock will be made. So cool!
- You can choose the butt pad material.
- There are options for the type of grip.
- checkering is another popular customization (with a range of options).
- You can opt for a single or double trigger.
- Basically everything - If you can imagine it, Nick tells us that it's as simple as contacting the company to make it happen
- Our favorite feature is the ability to choose the receiver finish and engraving. For example, you can literally send a picture of your dog and their Italian hand engraver will put it on your receiver. That is just incredible!
Why a Custom Gun?
- There are many reasons to get a custom gun. Firstly, if you have the means to do so, having a gun that fits you properly is very important to your success in the field. UPG knows how important this is and works to find you a gun fitter to ensure that your investment is actually going to work well for you. You can spend all the money you want, but if the shotgun doesn't fit, you'll shoot like...well, not as good as you would with a gun that fits you.
- Everybody is different: style, preference, body type, and style of hunting: Upland Gun Company recognizes that one size doesn't necessarily fit all and wants to create an experience to get you in a gun that is perfectly tuned to what you do.
- You can truly make one of these guns your own. Our favorite reason is the idea of creating a custom heirloom that can be passed down for generations knowing that this special gun wasn't just a mass-produced gun from some factory. This is a gun that is specific to you as an individual with meaning and value.
- And finally, Upland Gun Company is in a market of its own. We are not aware of any other manufacturers offering customizations at the price point that UGC is. Their base model starts at $1,999... That's basically a Benelli Super Black Eagle 3... Except your getting a gun that is custom for you and unlike any other gun. Of course, you could go through the gun builder and run up the price with expensive wood and custom engravings, but even then, you're still getting a relatively good deal in the world of custom shotguns.
Speaking with Nick from Upland Gun Company was an absolute blast. He is very insightful and sold me on his product without a doubt. We believe that gun fit alone is very valuable to get right if you have the means to do so. Upland Gun Company also finds this important and we respect the heck out of them because of it. The system they've created is unlike any other gun company; we trust that they'll be around for a long time. Their customer-first approach has curated a repeat client base that absolutely loves their products. We can't wait to get our custom gun, and hope you stay tuned to see it! Don't forget to check out their gun builder at uplandguncompany.com and listen to Nick Larsons Podcast: The Birdshot Podcast
Whether our targets in the field or our targets in life, we will only hit what we are focused on, so live the #targetfocusedlife
Stay Target Focused,
Get notified when we publish a new blog post
Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from our team.
Don't worry, your information will not be shared.
We hate SPAM. We will never sell your information, for any reason.