Affordable & Quality? Weatherby Orion 12 Gauge O/U Shotgun ReviewJun 16, 2022
Today we're looking at the Weatherby Orion 12 Gauge O/U. Over the past year, I have been very impressed with the Weatherby shotguns. Notably, the Semi-Auto Element. I found the Element to be a fantastic bang for your buck - today we'll see if the story is the same for the Orion. Let's go!
$1049 but you'll find the best deal on an Orion at Reeds Sports
Get a Free TFL Hat...find out how!
- 12 gauge (or 20)
- 28" Barrel (26" or option)
- Length of Pull 14 1/2"
- Drop at Comb 1 1/2"
- Drop at Heel 2 1/4"
- Comes with 3 chokes
- 6lbs 2.8oz (Average)
- Felt just alright! A bit heavy
- It was a bit heavier than I expected but it felt decent. Nothing special
- The first thing I noticed is that this gun felt really front-heavy. Most likely due to the "2 by 4" feeling forearm
- Prince of Wales stock is very classy but felt kind of meaty
- Basic easy to use safety - I like that it doesn't have the auto-safe function
- The gun and moving parts all worked smoothly with no issue
- Classy front bead on front (love the simplicity)
- Vented rib and barrels
- Very nice feeling recoil pad
- Mounted up very nicely
- This is a solid gun that should hold up extremely well
- Unfortunately, nothing aesthetically excited me. I like my over-unders to be at least a little classy looking
- Standard wood grade with a high gloss finish
- Overall, this gun is put together very well for the price point that it's at
- Again, we saw this in the Element semi-auto, Weatherby is making some incredible builds at a very reasonable price
- It took the recoil straight back to my shoulder! Muzzle seemed to jump a bit more than normal
- Ejectors work flawlessly
- This gun mounted and pointed very nice in between shots. Impressed!
- The Orion came apart easily as most over-unders do
- Taking it apart reinforced my beliefs that this gun operates SMOOTH
- What it lacks in appearance is made up in being smooth (Kinda like me)
- I was able to accomplish shooting 2 hand thrown clays in 1.08 seconds
In summary, shooting this Orion kind of confirmed what I had learned about Weatherby from shooting the Element last year - these folks make fantastic guns for the money. It was fun to shoot, It pointed naturally, and it worked great. It may not be the prettiest over-under, but if you need a reliable, affordable O/U that can shoot trap, hunt, or anything else, this may be a top 5 option under $1,000.
Whether our targets in the field or our targets in life, we will only hit what we are focused on so live the #targetfocusedlife
Stay Target Focused,
Get notified when we publish a new blog post
Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from our team.
Don't worry, your information will not be shared.
We hate SPAM. We will never sell your information, for any reason.