Browning Maxus II 12ga Shotgun ReviewJul 15, 2021
Browning claims that the Maxus 2 is the most reliable, softest shooting, best handling gas-operated semi-auto ever. Those are some big claims and to be honest, I wasn't a huge fan of the original Maxus but once I saw the Maxus 2 I couldn't wait to get my hands on it for review.
The Maxus 2 has an MSRP of $1,589.99 - 2,069.99 (Maxus 2 available at Reeds) which puts it up there with the higher end semi-auto 3.5" waterfowl shotguns as far a price.
Overall, I really enjoyed shooting the Maxus 2 and I am impressed with many aspects of this gun.
The Video includes the full review of the Browing Maxus 2 (Wicked Wing - Mossy Oak Shadow Grass Habitat) but if you prefer to read about it, below is a quick summary.
- 12 gauge
- 3.5" chamber (also available in 3")
- 28" Barrell (also available in 26")
- 7.2lbs (3.5") 7.0lbs (3")
- Length of Pull 14 7/16" Out of the Box. The composite stock has a straight heel section that makes it easy for a gunsmith to shorten the length of pull up to 3/4" and refit the Inflex Technology recoil pad.
- Drop at Comb 1 3/4" (Adjustable with provided shims)
- Drop at Heel 2"
Ergonomics/Look & Feel
The Maxus 2 really shines when it comes to it's egonomics.
- Feels great in the hands and is well balanced
- Rubber overmolding for a great grip
- Oversized charging handle and bolt release for easy operating
- Quick load feature - I probably wouldn't use this much but it's a neat feature if you use it.
- Large tricker guard - If you're going to be shooting with gloves on, the trigger guard had plenty of room.
- Loading ramp on the front of the trigger guard
- Bored out loading port - This is something I love, there is nothing worse than beating up your fingers loading your gun. Loading the Maxus 2 is a breeze.
- Forearm cap - Option to add an extended magazine tube
- 5 lbs 9 oz Average
- Crisp trigger with little travel. Feels great!
Quality of Build
- I always look at the quality of the build relative to the price. Everything on the Maxus 2 comes together nicely and is tight, what you would expect for a gun at this price point.
- Nickel Teflon coating on the bolt, bolt slide, shell carrier, bolt release and bolt handle protect, add lubricity, and make it easier to clean.
- Burnt Bronze Cerakote camo receiver finish, Burnt Bronze Cerakote barrel finish looks great and will be very durable
Ease of Breakdown
- Very simply to break down for a full cleaning.
- Very light recoil!
- After a few hundred rounds, I believe this shotgun is ultra-reliable and will run for a long time without issue (when you shoot with the gun against your shoulder 😉)
- I love to shoot fast and this gun does that well. I wasn't able to shoot this gun as fast as some others but it is a 3.5" gun. I would like to get my hands on a 3" model and see if I can run it any faster.
All around, the Browning Maxus 2 is a great gun and one that I'd love to have in the blind with me.
Would you like to see a head-to-head comparison with another semiauto shotgun?
Whether our targets in the field or our targets in life, we will only hit what we are focused on so live the #targetfocusedlife
Stay Target Focused,
Get notified when we publish a new blog post
Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from our team.
Don't worry, your information will not be shared.
We hate SPAM. We will never sell your information, for any reason.