SKB 90TSS Trap Review - A Custom Fit for a Fraction of the PriceApr 20, 2023
Today we're taking a look at the SKB 90TSS trap shotgun in 12 gauge! SKB is known for its solid, price-point sporting guns. With its parallel comb, the 90TSS was designed for trap but with its adjustability in the stock the 90TSS may be capable of more than just trap shooting. Today we're going to put it to the test and see what this shotgun is made of. If you have experience with the SKB 90TSS, please let us know on the TFL COMMUNITY!
SKB 90TSS 12 Gauge Trap Gun:
- The current MSRP of this SKB is $2,049 but we picked it up from REEDS SPORTS for less than that
- Designed for Trap Shooters
- Get a FREE case of Federal Ammo with a purchase of a new shotgun from Reeds priced at $500 or above!
- 12 gauge
- Break action
- The 90TSS comes with three chokes - But of course, we've swapped those out with a Carlson's Choke Tube
- 3" chamber
- 32" Barrell (30" available)
- Shotgun Weight is 8lbs 14oz
- Length of pull is adjustable from 14" - 15 1/4" (On the adult version) SKB has many offerings for different-sized as well as left and right handed shooters
- The comb is parallel and can be adjusted up or down by about an inch
- The butt plate can swivel left or right to kick the toe away from your chest as needed to fit your body perfectly
- The cast is also adjustable from left to right as well to fit to get your eye centered on the shotgun
- This shotgun has a mechanical trigger which is impressive for a trap gun at this price
- This trigger is noticeably heavier than other common trap triggers
- 7lbs (Average pull weight)
- In the hands, this gun has some heft, which can be a good thing for shooting trap
- We don't mind the heft with this particular shotgun because the balance point is a bit forward, which will result in a nice smooth swing
- This is the right-handed model, so it has a right palm swell
- The forend and grip is nice - it has enough surface area for the shooter to be able to point your index finger
- As we mentioned, the cast is adjustable. This and the rest of its adjustability makes this shotgun's ergonomics very good. Your performance will highly rely on how well the gun fits you, making SKB a popular option for many sporting disciplines
- Brass mid-bead and ivory front bead
- The receive engraving is very light and not necessarily fancy - You'll be buying this gun for functionality, not a fancy finish
- Overall the ergonomics or this gun are very solid, with the adjustability being the highlight
- Flat rib (non-adjustable)
- This SKB also has auto ejectors
- This 90TSS felt really good to shoot, and had a super smooth swing
- Recoil with an ounce and eight target loads was minimal due to how well the gun fit and the weight
- Everything worked great for us - If you have experience with this gun, we're relying on you to share how reliable it's been! Chime in on the TFL COMMUNITY!
BREAKDOWN/QUALITY OF BUILD
- The 90TSS is an over-under - the breakdown is just as simple as any other O/U
- The quality of build is probably a bit better than what you'd expect from a dedicated trap gun at this price point but has nothing special as far as wood grade or finish. However, the adjustable components are built well and have had plenty of thought of the many years of SKB's experience
- This 90TSS is constructed well. SKB really knows what they're doing with this relatively affordable trap option
- The locking lug runs the whole length of the block and should last a really long time
TRAP SHOOTING WITH THE SKB 90TSS
This is typically where we'd speed shoot the gun and try to accomplish a fast time. But this is a dedicated trap gun, and thanks to Ranges at Oakfield, we were at a trap range, so we decided to shoot a full round to get some real hands-on experience using the gun as it was intended.
- This gun was shooting trap like an absolute charm. Steve shot 23 out of 25, missing one clay on each of the first two posts. Once the rhythm was found, this gun performed very well
- Two highlights would be the recoil and smooth swing
SKEET SHOOTING WITH THE SKB 90TSS
- With trap going so well, we figured we'd try a little skeet too. The only thing we noticed is that when you don't start pre-mounted in skeet, the adjustable components of the stock make mounting quick a bit of a challenge. However, we were still crushing clays and we'd say it's totally valid for trap, skeet, or sporting clays.
Overall, we were extremely impressed with the performance of this shotgun. It fit perfectly, had minimal recoil, and crushed a lot of clays. Normally you'd consider the craftsmanship and beauty of a "dedicated" over under, but where this gun shines is in our opinion, much more important than a fancy finish. SKB has made a reasonably priced gun with tons of adjustability. If function is important to you, this 90TSS may be a shotgun to highly consider for trap shooting, skeet, or sporting clays. Chime in on the TFL community to let us know your experience and if you think it's worth it!
Whether our targets in the field or our targets in life, we will only hit what we are focused on, so live the #targetfocusedlife
Stay Target Focused,
Get notified when we publish a new blog post
Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from our team.
Don't worry, your information will not be shared.
We hate SPAM. We will never sell your information, for any reason.