Best Pump Shotgun for the Money 💵 ? Winchester SXP 12ga Pump Shotgun ReviewJul 28, 2022
The Winchester SXP pump shotgun is a shotgun that I am familiar with, having shot many thousands of rounds over the years! When it comes to pump shotguns, the SXP may be one of the best price-to-value options out there. The full review is in the video above, but if you prefer to get a quick snapshot of my review of the SXP, it's all laid out below.
WINCHESTER SXP PUMP SHOTGUN
- The MSRP is $469 for the Hybrid Hunter and $389 for the Black Shadow version. I purchased my SXP from Reeds at a great price so make sure you check them out when you purchase your next shotgun.
- Get a Free TFL Hat...find out how!
- 12 gauge - Pump Action (Available in 20 gauge as well)
- This review was on the Hybrid Hunter (38 Alternate Variations: Camo, hybrid hunter, personal defense, upland, trap, turkey, deer... THE LIST GOES ON)
- 3" chamber (3.5" Models Available)
- 28" Barrell (26" Model available in Hybrid Hunter)
- Shotgun Weight is 6lbs 14oz, decently light for a pump shotgun
- Length of Pull 13 3/4", Which is pretty short out of the box with no spacers included
- Drop at comb 1 5/8"
- Drop at Heel 2"
- Comes with 3 Invector Plus flush mount chokes, but I'd recommend picking up some Carlson's Choke Tubes 20% off with "targetfocused20
- Trigger pull is 7lbs 11.5oz, a little heavier than I like, but otherwise, it felt good
- The forearm and pistol grip fits nicely with its contours.
- The grip lacks good texture and is slippery.
- Cross bolt safety is on the front of the trigger guard.
- Sharp edges on the loading port, but unless you are shooting a ton of rounds, not a huge deal.
- The fiber front bead is already coming off, but I could do without (not a fan of fiber beads.
- Balance is frontward, not uncommon for pump shotguns.
- Love the stepped-up rib.
- One of the lighter recoiling pump shotguns I've shot. Love that it will eject without manually operating the slide.
- I appreciate that it pulls straight back rather than into my face.
- I have had some issues over the years. Broken action bars with 1000's of rounds of hard use.
BREAKDOWN/QUALITY OF BUILD
- Fairly simple pump to breakdown
- I always look at the quality of the build relative to the price. With that said, products can always be better, but this SXP has treated me too well over the years to complain.
I find this evaluation valuable because it tests how all the moving parts really come together. I get to evaluate under pressure, getting on target, having an appropriate trigger pull, recovering from the recoil, and cycling good enough to get back on target.
- Winchester claims the SXP can shoot three rounds in less than a half second. I was only able to manage shooting three rounds in .59 seconds, but maybe I was just a little slow that day.
- I was able to smoke three hand-thrown clays in 1.54 seconds, including the throw. This isn't lightning fast, but I had a lot of trouble running fast with the slick forearms.
In conclusion, I enjoy shooting the SXP, it has treated me well over the years. There are a few items with the SXP that get under my skin but as far as bang for the buck, the SXP is worth a good look! If you are ready to shop the Winchester SXP, make sure you check it out at REEDS!
Whether our targets in the field or our targets in life, we will only hit what we are focused on so live the #targetfocusedlife
Stay Target Focused,
Get notified when we publish a new blog post
Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from our team.
Don't worry, your information will not be shared.
We hate SPAM. We will never sell your information, for any reason.